Friday, May 25, 2012

Today, May 25th, is the Feast of St. Bede the Venerable, patron Saint of Lectors.

[Saint Bede the Venerable]

He was born in England in the 600s, became a Benedictine monk, and taught and wrote about a great number of things! History, mathematics, music, astronomy, poetry, philosophy, and Bible commentary are just a few of the subjects he wrote about.  He was a very smart man, and was named one of the 33 Doctors of the Church in 1899 by Pope Leo XIII.

Some quotes of St. Bede:
"He alone loves the Creator perfectly who manifests a pure love for his neighbor."

Towards the end of his long life, he had such a love for Christ that he longed to see him:
"If it so please my Maker, it is time for me to return to him who created me and formed me out of nothing when I did not exist.  I have lived a long time, and the righteous Judge has taken good care of me during my whole life. The time has come for my departure, and I long to die and be with Christ. My soul yearns to see Christ, my King, in all His glory."

Read this information, and more about St. Bede at: HERE!!


Now...from the Handbook of Prayers: Student Edition by the Midwest Theological Forum...
Mary: Our Mother
"Find out for yourself by personal experience the meaning of Mary's maternal love.  It is not enough just to know that she is our Mother, and to think and talk about her as such. She is your Mother and you are her child. She loves you as if you were her only child in this world. Treat her accordingly. Tell her about everything that happens to you; honor her and love her. No one will do it for you or as well as you."

Let us offer to our Mother today: Many affectionate thoughts and prayers, by saying, "Mary, my mother," each time we pause in our work.


Be Holy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment